Our two child things (5 and 2) are currently in Hawaii, but we are a military family, and we live where the Army tells us. This blog is designed to keep us in touch with our family and the friends we have made along the way, to offer insight into our turbulent military lifestyle, and to share our experiences as we try out "homing school." So glad you stopped by!

Monday, September 21, 2009

One Year Closer to 30


I wasn't feeling particularly old or adultish after turning 28 until I served a friend a piece of leftover cake, and she said, "Oh my! Maybe I shouldn't be seeing this!" (referring to the age on the cake). Then she turned the "8" over so it couldn't be seen. "We'll just leave it like that," she said, sympathetically.

Heh, heh... Actually buying a rug for our new home made me feel much more like a grown-up than my birthday did. The shopping trip was part of my birthday celebration--one of the few days of the year I can convince Scott to go to the mall with me. :P

Then that evening we drove up to the North Shore to eat dinner at a beach-side restaurant. The scenery was fantastic, but the food was not (though it was priced like it should be).


We returned home for a lovely cake that Scott and a certain 3-year-old made for me and to open gifts. Thanks to everyone who thought of me on my birthday. :)



Scott picked out an ice cream maker for me, which I am very excited about! I have wanted an ice cream maker since my cousin posted this recipe for homemade chocolate/peanut butter cup ice cream on her blog. Whoah, Nelly! Does that look good!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try her ice cream recipe yet, but fortunately, I have a husband who is considerate enough to remember I was starting a new diet the next day, so he brought home ingredients to make mango sorbet, which is free of dairy products. Have I mentioned how yummy and HUGE the Hawaiian mangoes are?



It was a great birthday!

1 comment:

Steve, Amanda, Kyle , Owen, and Madilyn said...

Happy Birthday Amanda! I hope you had a spactacular day. You are looking great by the way.