Our two child things (5 and 2) are currently in Hawaii, but we are a military family, and we live where the Army tells us. This blog is designed to keep us in touch with our family and the friends we have made along the way, to offer insight into our turbulent military lifestyle, and to share our experiences as we try out "homing school." So glad you stopped by!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Power of a Crayon

Have you ever had a moment, when you see something from your childhood, and the memories of it are so vivid that you suddenly feel 8 years old again? That happened to me the other day with a crayon. Strange? Maybe.
While I'm in Texas, I'm staying in my aunt and uncle's house. They have tons of school supplies leftover from my cousins' school days and my aunt's days as a teacher, and, since their children are all contributing members of society now, they offered them to us when we moved in. That was a jackpot for a homeschooler! Paints, poster boards, flashcards, colored pencils, construction paper, scissors, rulers, and of course crayons.
The crayons are contained in a shoebox-sized sterilite container. When we first opened it up, I could tell they were used by my cousins when they were kids because the colors had names that could only have come out of the '80s. Vivid Tangerine. Hot Magenta. Ultra Blue.
And then the child thing dug her hand down to the bottom, pulled something out and said, "Look, Mommy, an eraser."
I looked. I gasped. I transformed into an 8-year-old again.


Then I regained my lucidity and explained that this was no eraser. It was a crayon, an AWESOME crayon.
Do y'all remember those multi-colored crayons? I had forgotten all about them, but when I saw this one, I remembered that they were the coolest thing in school when I was little. I guess it can't compare much to the ipods that kids take to elementary with them these days, but back then...this was the thing to have!

No comments: